By Craig W. Kallendorf
- A complete creation and assessment of the classical culture - the translation of classical texts in later centuries
- Comprises 26 newly commissioned essays from a world crew of experts
- Divided into 3 sections: a chronological survey, a geographical survey, and a bit illustrating the connections among the classical culture and modern theory
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Untersucht werden literaturtheoretische Positionen von der Antike bis 1800. Vergessene historische Dimensionen werden freigelegt und Antworten auf die Frage nach der Tragfähigkeit der Kategorie 'literarischer textual content' (der Literatur im engeren Sinn) gesucht. Der interdisziplinäre Zugang erlaubt es, ideengeschichtliche Kontexte in ihrer für die Literaturtheorie bestimmenden Bedeutung angemessen zu berücksichtigen.
Thucydides' paintings used to be some of the most interesting creations within the cultural heritage of Greece within the 5th century BC - one among purely huge prose works to have survived - and it nonetheless poses clean and tough questions about the writing of heritage. within the twenty-first century, it nonetheless demanding situations the reader: there's a marked stress in Thucydides' historical past among his goal to write down approximately modern occasions and his wish that his paintings should still live longer than the interval during which he composed it.
In contemporary many years, the proof for an oral epic culture in old Greece has grown drastically besides our ever-increasing expertise of globally oral traditions. John Foley the following examines the creative implications that oral culture holds for the knowledge of the Iliad and Odyssey for you to determine a context for his or her unique functionality and modern day reception.
The elegist Sextus Propertius (ca 50–ca sixteen BC) is mostly reckoned one of the so much tricky of Latin authors. on the root of this hassle lies a deeply corrupt textual content and uncertainty over the manuscript transmission; in addition, the manuscripts utilized in the traditional versions of this present day were chosen with no entire exam of the surviving copies.
- Writing Fashion in Early Modern Italy: From Sprezzatura to Satire (Visual Culture in Early Modernity)
- Julius Caesar in Western Culture
- Late Medieval Englishwomen: Julian of Norwich; Marjorie Kempe and Juliana Berners: Printed Writings, 1500–1640: Series I, Part Four, Volume 3 (The Early ... Writings, 1500â€“1640: Series I, Part Four)
- Statius Silvae 5: Bk. 5 (Oxford Classical Monographs)
Extra info for A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Craig W. Kallendorf