By Patrick Brantlinger,William Thesing
- Provides contextual and demanding information regarding the full diversity of British fiction released throughout the Victorian period.
- Explains concerns comparable to Victorian religions, classification constitution, and Darwinism to people who are surprising with them.
- Comprises unique, available chapters written through popular and rising students within the box of Victorian studies.
- Ideal for college kids and researchers looking up to the moment insurance of contexts and traits, or as a place to begin for a survey course.
Read or Download A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
This examine examines the original cultural area of Victorian cathedral cities as they seem within the literary paintings of Charles Dickens and Anthony Trollope, arguing that Dickens and Trollope use the cathedral town’s enclosure, and its overt connections among sacred and secular, current and earlier, as an excellent locus from which to critique Victorian spiritual attitudes, aesthetic anxieties, company practices, or even immigration.
Nineteenth-century Britain used to be an international in play. The Victorians invented the weekend and equipped enormous quantities of parks and playgrounds. within the wake of Darwin, they re-imagined nature as a competition for survival. The playful baby grew to become an emblem of the longer term. an international in play ability issues: a global in flux and an international trapped, like Alice in Wonderland, in a ludic microcosm of itself.
This booklet addresses a significantly overlooked style utilized by ladies writers from Gaskell to Woolf to complicate Victorian and modernist notions of gender and social house. Their cutting edge brief tales ask Britons to reassess the place girls may reside, how they can be pointed out, and whether or not they will be contained.
“This superbly offered publication includes for the 1st time the full sequence of fifty-three illustrated letters written to his father via Richard Doyle, the ‘precocious boy’ who may turn into well-known for his Punch drawings […] Their replica the following in all their elusive element, scrupulously annotated by way of the editor, is either gratifying and educative.
- Pets and Domesticity in Victorian Literature and Culture: Animality, Queer Relations, and the Victorian Family (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature)
- Drawing on the Victorians: The Palimpsest of Victorian and Neo-Victorian Graphic Texts (Series in Victorian Studies)
- The Art of Adapting Victorian Literature, 1848-1920: Dramatizing Jane Eyre, David Copperfield, and The Woman in White
- Dickens’s ‘Young Men’: George Augustus Sala, Edmund Yates and the World of Victorian Journalism (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- Alice's Identity Crisis in Wonderland. A Comparison to the Middle Class Girls of the Victorian Era
Additional info for A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Patrick Brantlinger,William Thesing