By Bruce Mitchell,Fred C. Robinson
- Provides a entire creation to outdated English
- Uses a realistic process fitted to the desires of the start student
- Features decisions from the best works of outdated English literature, equipped from uncomplicated to tougher texts to maintain velocity with the reader
- Includes a dialogue of Anglo-Saxon literature, heritage, and tradition, and a bibliography directing readers to precious courses at the subject
- Updated all through with new fabric together with the 1st 25 strains from Beowulf with particular annotation and an evidence of Grimm’s and Verner’s laws
Read or Download A Guide to Old English PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Untersucht werden literaturtheoretische Positionen von der Antike bis 1800. Vergessene historische Dimensionen werden freigelegt und Antworten auf die Frage nach der Tragfähigkeit der Kategorie 'literarischer textual content' (der Literatur im engeren Sinn) gesucht. Der interdisziplinäre Zugang erlaubt es, ideengeschichtliche Kontexte in ihrer für die Literaturtheorie bestimmenden Bedeutung angemessen zu berücksichtigen.
Thucydides' paintings used to be essentially the most interesting creations within the cultural historical past of Greece within the 5th century BC - one in every of in simple terms huge prose works to have survived - and it nonetheless poses clean and hard questions about the writing of background. within the twenty-first century, it nonetheless demanding situations the reader: there's a marked pressure in Thucydides' heritage among his target to jot down approximately modern occasions and his hope that his paintings may still out live the interval during which he composed it.
In fresh a long time, the proof for an oral epic culture in historical Greece has grown vastly in addition to our ever-increasing understanding of globally oral traditions. John Foley right here examines the inventive implications that oral culture holds for the certainty of the Iliad and Odyssey with a purpose to identify a context for his or her unique functionality and modern day reception.
The elegist Sextus Propertius (ca 50–ca sixteen BC) is mostly reckoned one of the so much tricky of Latin authors. on the root of this trouble lies a deeply corrupt textual content and uncertainty over the manuscript transmission; in addition, the manuscripts utilized in the traditional versions of this present day were chosen with no complete exam of the surviving copies.
- Carmina anacreontea 1-34: Ein Kommentar (Beiträge zur Altertumskunde) (German Edition)
- Par la fenestre: Études de littérature et de civilisation médiévales (Senefiance) (French Edition)
- Witches, Isis and Narrative: Approaches to Magic in Apuleius' "Metamorphoses" (Trends in Classics - Supplementary Volumes)
- Light and Darkness in Ancient Greek Myth and Religion (Greek Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches)
Additional info for A Guide to Old English
A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell,Fred C. Robinson