By Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain
This revised variation of A background of outdated English Literature attracts widely at the most up-to-date scholarship to have advanced over the past decade. The textual content accommodates extra fabric all through, together with new chapters on Anglo-Saxon manuscripts and incidental and marginal texts.
- This revised version responds to the renewed historicism in medieval studies
- Provides wide-ranging insurance, together with Anglo-Latin literature in addition to non-canonical writings
- Includes new chapters on manuscripts and on marginal and incidental texts
- Incorporates accelerated insurance of criminal texts and clinical and scholastic texts, now handled in separate chapters
- Demonstrates that the sphere of Anglo-Saxon reviews is uniquely put to give a contribution to present literary debates
Read or Download A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Untersucht werden literaturtheoretische Positionen von der Antike bis 1800. Vergessene historische Dimensionen werden freigelegt und Antworten auf die Frage nach der Tragfähigkeit der Kategorie 'literarischer textual content' (der Literatur im engeren Sinn) gesucht. Der interdisziplinäre Zugang erlaubt es, ideengeschichtliche Kontexte in ihrer für die Literaturtheorie bestimmenden Bedeutung angemessen zu berücksichtigen.
Thucydides' paintings used to be essentially the most interesting creations within the cultural heritage of Greece within the 5th century BC - one in every of simply enormous prose works to have survived - and it nonetheless poses clean and demanding questions about the writing of background. within the twenty-first century, it nonetheless demanding situations the reader: there's a marked stress in Thucydides' historical past among his objective to write down approximately modern occasions and his wish that his paintings should still live longer than the interval within which he composed it.
In contemporary many years, the proof for an oral epic culture in old Greece has grown drastically in addition to our ever-increasing know-how of globally oral traditions. John Foley right here examines the creative implications that oral culture holds for the knowledge of the Iliad and Odyssey that allows you to identify a context for his or her unique functionality and modern day reception.
The elegist Sextus Propertius (ca 50–ca sixteen BC) is mostly reckoned one of the so much tough of Latin authors. on the root of this trouble lies a deeply corrupt textual content and uncertainty over the manuscript transmission; additionally, the manuscripts utilized in the normal versions of this present day were chosen and not using a finished exam of the surviving copies.
- Claudian and the Roman Epic Tradition
- The Stagecraft and Performance of Roman Comedy
- Satyric Play: The Evolution of Greek Comedy and Satyr Drama
- Der Wunderer (Texte und Studien zur mittelhochdeutschen Heldenepik) (German Edition)
- Medievalist Comics and the American Century
Extra info for A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain